Monday, January 14, 2013

4 Months In...

Mom's Thoughts:

 About four months ago, my family's normal, sports-and-school-and kid-centered suburban life was rudely invaded by some most unwelcome intruders - OCD and Anxiety Disorder.   The victim?  My 15-year-old daughter.  And well, the rest of us too.  Her dad, her sisters, and me.  Since then, we've started the circuit of doctors, medications, therapy visits, CBT - Cognitive Behavior Therapy, and my now almost obsessive web-surfing research to try to find a way to shake these bullies off my daughter's back.

I've found a few nice blogs on the subject, and some resources I can chase down (so few in my area, unfortunately,) and a couple of books and articles that have been helpful, but I still wish there was more discussion out there - helpful tips, hopeful stories, words of encouragement from moms and teens to each other.   Heck, there's more out there about how to make cake pops look and taste fabulous - now that's useful stuff!  I hate stigmas and hush-hush behind-the-hand mumblings about "taboo" topics like (whisper) "mental illness," so this forum is perfect for me.  Get it out in the open and it loses it's power to eat you up.  Yeah, baby!

So, my daughter bravely decided she really wanted to start a blog about her experiences - part self-help, part helping others.  I will also write about some about my experiences being her mom - adding head researcher, pharmacist, therapist and cheerleader to my other, more typical duties (head chauffeur, cook, maid, nurse, ATM, etc.)  I hope I can add some links to other helpful resources and blogs as I find them.  Oh, and I'll explain all about "King Kong's Bitches." 

If you are struggling with this issue or others like them as well, God bless you.  God bless us all - we're going to need it!  :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment