Thursday, January 17, 2013

Every day is a challenge...

Mom's Thoughts:

The last few days have been rough for my poor child, so it's been tough for me to find time to blog.  Today seems to be better - she didn't come off the bus and dissolve into a panic attack, and said the day was pretty good.  Still not great, but pretty good.  So I'm happy.  Last night she was able to get through her tennis lesson, get her shower and finish all her homework; I'm hoping for the same tonight. 

This week, I'm not sure how much of it is OCD that bothers her or how much is symptoms of general anxiety and panic disorder.  We have yet to have a "real" diagnosis to hold on to.  This is something I'm going to address with her therapist next week. Last week, I asked about CBT and she her answer was "Well, when you've been thinking a certain way your entire life, it can be really hard to just change it."  What the heck does that mean?  From everything I've read, isn't that what we need to start working on?  Isn't that how you combat anxiety and OCD?  I've got to press her on that issue next week.

After just 3 sessions, I'm not 100% sure the therapist is the right person for the job.  We'll see.  We are going to the GP tomorrow to discuss medications again.  She's been taking 60mg of Paxil for almost 2 weeks now, and has been on Paxil for 2 months.  So far it seems to take the edge off sometimes, but doesn't work as well as it needs to.  This is a bit exhausting, all this back and forth between doctors and medications, with seemingly little progress.  I've got an appointment with a psychologist for her, but the earliest we could get in is April - almost 3 months away.  Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment