Saturday, January 19, 2013

Let the Bird Fly Over Your Head...

Mom's Thoughts:

 We went to see Elizabeth's medical doctor (Dr. G) yesterday at a follow-up visit after he increased her dosage of Paxil to the max - 60mg.  During our visit, I told him that the psychologist had not started CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and had actually sort of pushed the notion aside when I mentioned it to her.  She also told me to ask Dr. G about prescribing Xanax or something like it to help her through the anxious days.  I was uncomfortable about it, particularly after reading more about Xanax on the web.  But I will admit, it is tempting on the days when she is suffering so much with her OCD and anxiety - a mom just wants to make it all better, right now!

Much to my relief, Dr. G told Elizabeth, "You would like Xanax, really like it.  You'd like it too much.  It is highly addictive and would start you on a slippery slope.  I don't think it's a good idea to start you on a benzodiazepine (Xanax, Valium are some.)  They are a quick fix, but we are looking for a long-term fix."

Dr. G and I agreed that perhaps her psychologist was not the right person for the job.  He gave me a referral to a psychiatrist that he sends his son to for ADHD.  He said, "We need to get someone to pick you apart and find out what all is in there and how to treat you best."  There are also psychotherapists in that practice, so we can get her a team that can really get to the bottom of things.  I hope and pray!!  It's time for someone other than me to help her with CBT.  We have been working on it together with the help of Dr. John March's book, Talking Back to OCD.  (Here's a link to the book on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Back-OCD-Program-Parents/dp/1593853556)  It has been great, but I think we need reinforcements. 

Two websites I've found helpful:

1.  Steve Seay's blog:  http://www.steveseay.com/

 Dr. Seay is a psychologist in Palm Beach who has some great information about all kinds of OCD on his blog where you can post questions that he and others will answer.  He talks about things in a very easy-to-understand way. 

Among other things, I found some very helpful information on Dr. Seay's blog about Aggressive OCD - a fear of hurting or killing someone, something Elizabeth suffers from among other types.  It was such a relief to see that not only is it common, those who have it are typically very kind, caring, super moral people, which Elizabeth is.  She would never hurt a fly!  So she is sooo distressed about those thoughts and images, they kick her into a full-on panic attack.  Now that we know they are put into her head by OCD, it has helped some, but not much.  We need more help for her to be able to get those thoughts out of her head. 

2.  Shannon Shy's Facebook page - Shannon is an ex-Marine who also suffers from OCD:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shannon-Shy-OCD-Can-Be-Defeated-Im-Living-Proof/

He posts motivational comments and quotes each day and gives others with OCD a place to learn, comment, etc.  He and a reader had a conversation about how to beat OCD by not feeding it - ignoring it...  Shannon says, "allow the thought; don't resist it.  I didn't care whether I had the thought or not."  His reader's reply was something that really stuck with me... "Let the bird fly over your head..."

I love that... Let the bird fly over your head.  We can beat this!!  Don't feed King Kong! 




No comments:

Post a Comment